Trademark registration is a simple yet complicated process. Before digging into that, let’s just take a brief look at the basics of the registered trademark. Trademark registration takes place at government-authorized agencies such as:
- Canada – Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
- The US – United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- UK – United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO)
There is a fee associated with trademark registration which is mandatory to be paid. Moreover, trademark registration does take time, for instance, in Canada, the process is about 18 months.
To begin with, there are three basic ways to register your trademark:
- The Cheapest way – This method is also known as “Do It Yourself”. In Canada, you could file a trademark on your own and just pay for the Government fees. If you are familiar enough with the intellectual property regulations and the trademark application process of the country, registering yourself is the cheapest way. But if you are a layman of the industry, that could be the Expensive Way to do so. Because improper application would cost rejection, disapproval, or insufficient trademark protection. It will brother the brand development.
- The Easiest Way- This is the most straightforward method to file a trademark. It involves consulting a trademark consultant who helps you with the filing process and if insisted by the client, helps in maintaining the trademark as well. This method is the easiest way as the expertise of a trademark consultant results in a smooth process as we work in a very efficient and timely manner. With a lot of paperwork involved and getting in touch with the registered office from time to time, it could be a hustle for the client itself. All these steps are very crucial for the successful registration of a trademark.
- The Quickest way – The third way of getting a trademark is to buy one. You can purchase a registered trademark from the original owner, the ownership transfer requires less than a couple of weeks. It is a time-effective approach as this will help you skip the registration process. Buying a trademark comes with certain drawbacks such as difficulty to find the offering trademarks and the transaction process is not secure. Therefore, buying from a reliable trading platform could overcome these problems.
One important thing to keep in mind is that trademark registration is a very delicate process. One minor mistake during filing could result in the officer declining your application. Hence, it is very important to understand that filing for trademark registration requires the expertise of a trademark consultant to ensure a smooth process with successful trademark registration.
Hence, if you intend to get a registered trademark in Canada, and you have insufficient knowledge about the regulations and process. You should consider hiring a professional consultant on your behalf of you to carry out the application.
As if you want to get the trademark in a shorter period, you could go purchase one. 1st Intellectual Property has over 10 years of experience in the trademark industry globally, we offer both trademark registration and trading platform service. No matter whether you want to register a new trademark or buy an existing trademark, we could help.